Golf is a popular sport and is both played and watched all over the world. In fact, there are an estimated 60 million golfers in the world, and even more spectators. Not all of these are professional golfers per se. Everyone starts somewhere, and learning to golf is no easy feat. One of the first requirements before hitting the links is to ensure that you have all the proper equipment and gear. This includes:
- Clubs; having the right clubs is the most important as without clubs, there is no golf. An average golf bag will have 12-14 clubs, with 14 being the maximum allowed, including 8 irons, 3 wedges and a putter. Each of these clubs has a unique purpose and is used in different instances throughout the game.
- Golf bag; getting the right bag is important too. It must hold all of your clubs as well as have a strap that fits and works for you. You will be carrying it for long periods of time and it can be relatively heavy with 14 clubs, balls, etc. in it. Some bags also have stands so that when you are playing a hole, the bag will stand up on its own and provide easy access to its contents.
- Shoes; Choosing the right golf shoes is also important, as they need to provide a good combination of grip, comfort and support. Your golf shoes can make or break your game as they help you get a good grip and stance when teeing off, they help support you as you walk the course and help you make sure your golf stance and swing is what you want it to be.
- Outfit; there is a relatively well and commonly/ widely known dress code at golf courses which often includes long shorts, polo shirts and golf hats for men and golf skirts, long shorts, and collared golf shirts for women. Pants are common for both sexes as well. Shorts and skirts must be longer, denim is frowned upon, and in many cases, not permitted and there are club specific dress codes that are more detailed.
- Gloves; gloves are optional but many golfers do choose to wear them to enhance their grip on their club, to help protect their wrist and to ultimately help improve their game. Gloves come in all shapes and sizes and are most commonly worn on only one hand.
- Other accessories; as technology and innovation has advanced and evolved the sport, there is a plethora of accessories available for golfers to wear, bring and use to enhance their game. This includes everything from smart, golf watches to specially designed sunglasses. You can find these online as well as at golf and sport stores.